Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Now Teach! Organizing for Instruction

Hey y'all! Day 3 of Teacher Week '13 hosted by Blog Hoppin' is all about getting organized so that you can teach. As I explained yesterday, I never really got much of a chance to organize the way I wanted my first year. So today I'm going to just talk about my summer project that I have almost 100% completed- my Post-It Note lesson plan books!
Since I have 2 preps this year, I'm making 2 lesson plan books. I have finished all but one little bit of labeling on one book and I need to finish a lot on the other book...so maybe not almost 100% finished. Last year when I was looking at lesson plan books and not really liking anything I saw, I stumbled upon this post and decided to figure out a way to adapt it my needs (she's an elementary teacher and I teach high school). I ADORE Post-It Notes and I like that this system allows you to easily make changes (just move notes around!).
I decided to do 3 full rows on each page like so:



That's all my week 1. In the first picture, I have Monday-Wednesday. My big categories are I can (the student-centered objective), Materials, Agenda, and Assessments. The green 1/3 notes (I just cut regular notes into thirds) are for homework. The first 3 1/3 notes on top are for the TEKS (state standards) for Monday-Wednesday. The last 1/3 note on top is for AVID strategies I'm using those 3 days.

The second picture is Thursday, Friday, and notes. Thursday and Friday have the same categories as Monday-Wednesday. My categories in my notes section are the good things from the week (+), the changes (the delta sign- just a triangle), absent students, and general notes. The 1/3 green note in the notes row is what I'll need to prep for the next week. The notes up top are the TEKS for Thursday and Friday, AVID strategies, and technology I'm using for the week (I really wanted to focus on bringing more technology into my classroom).

I also wrote a post and an update about how I organize my to do list. The original post can be found here and the update can be found here. Check them out because they involve Post-Its! (Are you getting a sense of how much I love those things?!)

Now I need to finish up my books and start actually filling them in! Don't forget to link up to/check out all the other tips on Blog Hoppin'!













2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could manage something like this, but I think it totally seems like a you thing to do! Plus, it makes a lot of sense. I have my way of organization, but I could totally see how this would work! Rock on, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically didn't write down any lessons last year...oops. So I'm hoping my love of color and Post-Its will change that. Plus I do change my mind a lot, so I like the flexibility of this. But yeah, everyone definitely has their own way of doing things.

      Delete