Monday, September 10, 2012

Just Some Reassurance

I did a summer program for the last two summers and some of my fellow teachers from there are in their last year of college. They (and others) keep asking me how real teaching is, so I wanted to get some thoughts down.

Yes, being in charge of 150 ish kids is absolutely bananas, especially when you add in the English Language Learners, the 504s, the IEPs, and the BIPs. If I total up all of that paperwork, I have about 35 kiddos who need extra help in some form or fashion. That is unreal for a first year at my school. HOWEVER, THIS IS STILL SO MUCH BETTER THAN BEING A LONG TERM SUB. A few of those kids I had last year made me want to never go near a classroom again. What a world of difference starting the year out with your very own kids makes! Thank goodness I kept pursuing my lifelong dream.

So, yes, the whole staying organized/slightly ahead of your kids business is challenging. But I have yet to feel like I'm totally drowning or simply surviving. We had a training day this past Saturday and almost every other teacher looked EXHAUSTED and kept mentioning how they were happy to just be surviving. Meanwhile, I am LOVING every minute of training, professional learning, meetings, teaching, tutoring, grading, etc. Well, except the emails from parents. But you can't win 'em all.

Funny story about juggling all these kids: I said "Hello, [name]!" to a girl entering my room last Friday and she got the biggest smile on her face and exclaimed "I love it when teachers learn my name and say hello!" Like, it's week two. That should just be a thing. I'm glad I made her day, though. They know I'm trying and when I have a bajillion girls who look exactly alike, I do pause from time to time. But I know them. And I'm learning stuff about them. And they LOVE that. Like, I am 100% committed to attending the freshman football game this Thursday because otherwise I'll have a riot on my hands since I didn't go last week. And I bought a coupon book from one of my choir kiddos and he thought that was the neatest thing ever. THESE KIDS, Y'ALL.

So, friends worrying about the ever nearing future, despite being hired two weeks before school started, I am lovin' it oh so much. I am doing exactly what I was born to do and that is an incredible feeling.

P.S. Once I'm totally settled (haha yeah right, that's a never ending process), I will have some sort of blogging schedule. I really am going to prove secondary education can be cute and awesome. I got lots of stuff to share :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I'm jealous and oh so proud of my friend who is changing the world so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you impress me with cuteness I will make this my home page. AP

    ReplyDelete